About this task
- If the VRF Smart Gateway version is at an earlier version than 126.96.36.1993/.834, upgrade the Gateway to 188.8.131.523/.834 at minimum using the standard software upgrade process from the VRF Smart Gateway UI.
- If the VRF Smart Gateway is at 184.108.40.2063/.834, use the MUT tool to upgrade the Gateway to the 220.127.116.116 build. The MUT Software Update Tool is required because there are OS migration and security fixes in the VRF Smart Gateway V18.104.22.1686 software release. The standard software upgrade from a VRF Smart Gateway UI procedure is not possible.
- If the VRF Smart Gateway is at 22.214.171.1246, then upgrade the Gateway to 126.96.36.199 by using the standard software upgrade process from VRF Smart Gateway UI.
To determine if an update is required, identify the current software version of the VRF Smart Gateway software. You can identify the current software version on the gateway UI home page, click About, then identify the version number listed for VRF Smart Gateway. If your gateway is not at VRFG-188.8.131.52 or later, then you need to update the software.
You can perform the update using a mobile device or computer, but you must complete the full process using the same device.
- If you are connected to the VRF Smart Gateway access point, disconnect, then connect to the Internet.
- Navigate to https://www.solutionnavigator.com/ , and download the latest software version, or contact your nearest Johnson Controls representative for the latest version.
- Reconnect to the VRF Smart Gateway access point.
- On the gateway home page, navigate to .
- Click Choose File.
- Select the software file the you downloaded in step 3.
Click Upload. If any error messages appear, retry the
Note: If you attempt to update from release 1.0, and the update fails, you may need to clean out temporary files using a Cleanup.bin file. Ask your VRF technical support team for this file. Follow the steps in this section to apply the file as an update. After the gateway restarts, log in and repeat the update process.
When the upload is complete, click Install. The message
shown in the figure below appears and remains visible during the update. The
gateway takes approximately 15 minutes to complete the update. The gateway
restarts multiple times during the update. If the H-LINK LED is either on solid
or flashes once per second, the update is complete.
Figure 1. Notification that an Update is in Progress
- After your computer or smart device reconnects to the VRF Smart Gateway, in the gateway UI, select the checkbox to confirm that the connection is established, then click Return. The login screen appears.
- Log in to the gateway UI.
- Verify that the version number on the About screen displays the update version.