Each SNE stores alarm and event messages generated by the SNE and the connected field trunk devices. You can configure an SNE to send alarm and event notifications through the SNE DDAs to email destinations and SNMP devices.
DDAs are agents that route and deliver alarm and event messages to destinations such as email addresses, Syslog servers, and SNMP management systems.
If the site has an ADS/ADX, each SNE can forward alarm and event information to the ADS/ADX for centralized notification and long-term storage.
To avoid a loss of notification if the repository becomes full, the Metasys system manages the SNE repositories according to the following criteria :
- Events forwarded to an ADS Event Repository are always removed before events that are not forwarded.
- The lowest priority event with the oldest time stamp and Acknowledge Required flag set to false is replaced first.
- If the event about to be created is of a higher priority than at least one event in the repository, the event with the oldest time stamp and the lowest priority is replaced.
- If all events are of the same priority, the event with the oldest time stamp is replaced.
- If the event about to be created is of a lower priority than all other events in the Event Repository, no event is replaced and the new event is discarded.
A loss of alarm emailing can result if the SNE is not commissioned with strict adherence to these criteria. To avoid managing events in this way, move ADS/ADX and the notification DDAs to the server.
You can designate multiple alarm and event sources in an SNE and in the connected equipment devices, and then configure the conditions that trigger those alarms or events. You can also define multiple notification types and multiple notification destinations for each alarm or event.
The SNE also has several pre-configured internal diagnostic features that are factory set to generate alarms. SNE device diagnostic features with factory-set default alarm values include those listed in the following table.
BACnet Broadcast Receive Rate
COV Rcv Rate
Transfer Buffer Full
You can check the status of these diagnostic features on the Diagnostic tab.
Refer to the Introduction to Alarm and Event Management in the Metasys SMP Help (LIT-1201793) for more information.