About this task
The device you want to update must be at Metasys Release 5.2 or later and the image files must exist on the SCT computer at this default location:
Use the Metasys Engine Importer to install engine image files. For more information, refer to the Extracting the Disk Images to Your Computer section of the NAE Update Tool Help (LIT-12011524).
If more than one image file exists on the SCT computer under this folder location, SCT selects the most recent image file for the model of NAE that you are downloading. SCT does not provide a method for selecting which image file to download. To select an image file other than the most recent, use either the NAE Update Tool or the reflash option in SCT Pro. After SCT updates the software disk image of the supervisory engine, SCT downloads the archive database into the supervisory engine.
Update the Disk Image of a Supervisory Engine:
For NIE29, NIE39, NIE49, or NIE59 engines only, upload (backup) the integration driver and license files using the NIEx9 Driver Manager tool before you proceed to the next step. For details, refer to the NIEx9 Driver Manager Application Note (LIT-12011919).
Important: If you skip this step, the Modbus, M-Bus, and KNX integrations for the NIEx9 become unlicensed and unusable after the update completes.
- On the Tools menu, select Manage Archive. The Manage Archive wizard appears.
- Select Download to Device.
Click Download Code. If at least one of the engines you are updating is an NCE25, NIE29, NAE35, NIE39, NAE45, or NIE49 also click Include UI on N40 Class Devices.
- By default, if you have at least one NCE25, NIE29, NAE35, NIE39, NAE45, or NIE49, the Included UI on N40 Class Devices check box is selected. To exclude the UI download for the N40 class devices, click to deselect the Included UI on N40 Class Devices check box.
- An example of when to deselect Included UI on N40 Class Devices is a case where downloading a .zip file of approximately 30MB to your engine would exceed its total available memory.
- By default, the Include Security check box is selected for a code download. To exclude the security database in a download, click to deselect the Include Security check box.
- Click Next. Select the devices you want to update. Use Shift+click to select and deselect devices in the tree.
- Click Next. Follow the prompts on each subsequent screen in the Manage Archive wizard.
Click Finish on the last screen. The Manage Archive wizard Code Download Summary window includes device type, unique image version information, and image version tool tips.
Note: The download progress bar is based on the number of steps completed, not a percentage of total time.Figure 2. Manage Archive wizard Code Download SummaryUnknown text warnings in the Summary window indicate the device has not been uploaded previously. To resolve this issue, upload the device, and then repeat the process to update the disk image on the affected device. No Image Found text warnings in the Summary window indicate that the image is not available for download to the device. SCT downloads the latest disk image to the device based on the image version displayed in the Summary window. To resolve this issue, install the required firmware image on the SCT computer.The ActionQ window opens with the Actions in Progress tab selected. After a few seconds, ActionQ indicates the progress of the update (Figure 3). The percentage complete and the current action appear during the process, including Initiating Code Download, Erasing Flash, Processing Code Download, Download in Progress, and Waiting for Device Reset.
If you want to monitor the full details of the download in real time, open the Archive Log located at.Figure 3. Device Update in Progress
After the update process is complete, verify the Completion Status column in the Completed Actions window reports OK.
Figure 4. Device Update Completed Successfully
- Log in to the NAE that you just updated and open its Focus window. Click the Advanced tab and verify the Firmware Version indicates the new version.
- For NIE29, NIE39, NIE49, or NIE59 engines only, restore (download) the integration driver and license files to the NIEx9 using the NIEx9 Driver Manager tool before you proceed to the next step. For details, refer to the NIEx9 Driver Manager Application Note (LIT-12011919).