About this task
To upgrade or downgrade a network engine, perform a reflash operation to change the firmware version. Before you reflash an engine, verify that the engine meets the following conditions:
- The SCT Pro Server and the network engine do not need to be on the same subnet (subnetwork) but both do need to have a network connection to the device. Reflashing a device from releases before 10.1 use the older PxE download method which requires the same subnet.
- The engine image that you want to install on the engine is loaded on the SCT Pro Server. For more information, refer to the Extracting the Disk Images from the Image DVD or CD to Your Computer section of the NAE/NIE Update Tool Help (LIT-12011524).
To reflash an engine, complete the following steps:
- From the Utilities pane, click Discover. The Device Discovery page opens.
- Check the status to ensure the system is listening for device wakeup messages.
- Click Discover. The table displays devices on the subnet.
- Select a network engine to reflash.
Note: Users can also access reflash settings by right-clicking a device in an archive and selecting Device Options/Reflash Device
Select a method of reflashing the device.
- Select Reflash Device - Selected Device. This option is only available if you have selected an engine from the table. Enter your password to authenticate the reflash command. This option automatically populates the several fields in the reflash settings.
- Select Reflash Device -
Manual Entry. You can still connect to and authenticate to
the device as you would with the Selected
Device option, however the fields are not pre-populated as
selected device's option would be. If you select this option, you must
manually populate some fields in the reflash settings. Many options will
become populated after successful authentication such as Device Name, IP
Address, and MAC
address. Note: Manual Entry is only supported using the legacy PXE Download, which is only supported on the Grey NAE 50 model hardware. This requires the same subnet for the device and SCT. The new SNx model black box devices only support BFT Code Downloads which require a user account to operate, therefore Manual does not work for these devices.
The following steps are required for both automatic and manual entry methods:
- From the Device Image field, select a device image.
- In the Device Name field, enter a device name. Editing this field also edits the Computer Name, Site Director, and Fully Qualified Reference fields.
- You can pair devices to site directors by clicking the Set button, next to the Site Director field. Updating the site director also updates the FQR.
- In the Admin User Settings area, set the new user credentials.
- Click Continue.
Review and confirm the summary information. Click Reflash
The device restarts automatically if you selected Trigger Automatic Restart. You must restart the device manually if you did not select this option.Note: The reflash process creates a temporary archive during download time named TempArchive<GUID>. You can manually delete this archive after download, if it was not automatically deleted.