About this task
The SCT Custom installation automatically launches when the installation requires more details from the user regarding software setup. For example, if the computer already has a version of SQL Server installed, the user must specify the SQL Server instance to use during SCT setup.
- Obtain the SCT installation file from the License Portal.
- Right click SystemConfigurationTool_16.0.exe and select Run as administrator.
- On the System Configuration Tool Setup window, click Custom. The SQL Server Selection window appears with the Database tab highlighted.
If no SQL instance is present and it is a desktop OS, then the
SCT installer adds SQL Server Express 2019 CU18 during the installation process.
However, if any SQL instance is already on the SCT computer, including an
unsupported one, or it's a server-class OS, then the SCT install does not
install SQL. If an unsupported version is detected, the install presents an
error message and you can cancel to install SQL separately. If you do have a
supported version installed, select the SQL instance to use, and then select one
of the following SQL authentication options:
Note: For Server OS, if an unsupported SQL instance exists, or you require a different version of SQL, refer to SQL Server Installation and Upgrade Instructions (LIT-12012240).
- Windows authentication credentials of current user. Select the Windows Credentials check box: Select this option to log in to the SQL Server software by using the Windows operating system credentials of the current Windows user. To use this option, the current Windows user must be a member of the SQL Server sysadmin role for the Selected SQL Server.
- SQL Server Login and Password. Clear the Windows Credentials check box: Fill in the SQL Username and Password fields to use SQL Server authentication to access SQL Server software during the installation. In the SQL Username field, enter a SQL Server user who is a member of the sysadmin role for the selected SQL Server. In the Password field, enter the corresponding password.
- Click the General tab.
- Verify that the Install Path indicates the location under which you want to install SCT. If you want to install the SCT to a custom location, click Browse and select a location.
- Click Install. Installation of the prerequisite software for SCT occurs before the installation of SCT software. If not detected, the SCT download manager also installs .NET Framework 4.7.2 or later.
- If the message Install will continue after restart appears, click Restart Now. The installation continues after you restart the computer and log on to Windows.
Note: Before you can use all features within SCT, you must license both SCT as well as install and license SCT packages. See Licensing SCT and importing and licensing packages for SCT for these steps.