Before you install or upgrade your SQL Server software, consider the following information:
- Uninstall software such as SCT and CCT before you upgrade the version of an existing SQL instance.
If you have a Microsoft SQL Server version installed that is no longer supported, refer to SQL Server Software Installation and Upgrade Guide (LIT-12012240) for information about how to upgrade SQL Server.
- If your computer has SQL Server software installed, verify that the current version of SCT supports this software. Go to Verifying your computer has a supported version of SQL Server software installed.
- A tool called the SQL Installer is provided on the License Portal with the Branch Tools download to help you install or upgrade to any supported version of SQL Server software. If you do not have this tool, refer to the SQL Server Software Installation and Upgrade Instructions (LIT-12012240) for details on how to install or upgrade SQL Server software. Refer to SQL Server Software Installation and Upgrade Instructions (LIT-12012240) if you need to apply a new service pack (SP) to an existing installation of SQL Server software because the SQL Installer does not support service pack installations.
- Use the SQL Installer to install a full version of SQL Server software (for example, SQL Server 2019 Standard edition), you can download the install files for full Microsoft SQL Server. To use SQL Installer to install an Express version of SQL Server software (for example, SQL Server 2019 Express), download the SQL Server Express installation file from the Microsoft SQL Server Express website.
- The SQL Installer supports both unified ADS/ADX and split ADX installations , with or without the Metasys Advanced Reporting System, and also any SCT configuration. However, the SQL Installer does not support adding Reporting Services because these newer versions of SQL Server use a standalone Reporting Services installer. If you have a split ADX with the Metasys Advanced Reporting System, you install the Database Engine Services component of SQL Server on the database server and the Reporting Services component on the web/application server. If you have a split ADX without Metasys Advanced Reporting System, you only need to install SQL Server on the database server.
The SQL Installer verifies that your computer has the prerequisites you need to install SQL Server. An error message appears if a prerequisite is not present. You need to install any missing software prerequisites before continuing.
- The SQL Installer provides an advanced mode that lets you edit the SQL Server command line options before you start the installation. You can also copy the options, paste them into a command window, and run the installation at a command prompt. However, use this method only if you are an advanced user who fully understands SQL Server software options.
- If you are installing SQL Server software manually, do not enable the C2 audit tracing feature. With C2 audit tracing enabled, SQL Server creates a large number of operational log files that might eventually fill the hard disk and cause the server to stop responding.
- At Release 13.0, the Metasys Advanced Reporting System is compatible with SQL Server 2017, but is not compatible with SQL Server 2019 or SQL Server 2022.
- The SA password that you specify in the SQL Installer window must follow the rules for Microsoft complex passwords. For more information about complex passwords, refer to the Security Administrator System Technical Bulletin (LIT-1201528).
- As part of the installation, the SQL Installer may require you to select an instance name. If you are installing a unified ADS/ADX, a stand-alone SCT computer, or the database server of a split ADX, use the default instance name. If you are installing the web/application server of a split ADX, use the instance name of MSSQLSERVER. This requirement is because the ADX install and rename processes assume an instance name of MSSQLSERVER on the web/application server that runs the Reporting Services feature of SQL Server.
- SQL Server installation packages no longer include Management Tools after SQL Server 2016. If you use this server, or a later version, you must manually install the SQL Server Management Studio tool. For details on how to install SQL Server Management Studio after you install SQL Server software, refer to the SQL Server Software Installation and Upgrade Instructions (LIT-12012240).
If you are installing server software on a server class machine, ensure SQL Server software is installed and running before you install Metasys software. For a split ADX, the SQL Server software on the database server and SCT computer must be running.
- If after you upgrade to a newer version of SQL Server software, you need to open the archive database in an older version of SQL Server software, use the Export Database option in SCT. Then import the archive that uses an older version of SQL Server software into SCT.
If your computer has SQL Server software installed, go to Verifying your computer has a supported version of SQL Server software installed to verify that you have a version the software supports.