The Launcher software application lets you access any Metasys server or supervisory engine on the building network, regardless of its software version. The Launcher comes in two forms: the full Launcher or the Single Site Connection Launcher.
You select the Launcher type when you download the application. See Detailed Procedures.
Key features of the Launcher include:
- Support to launch any version of the
Site Management Portal (SMP) user interface or SCT. Supported user interfaces
include the ADS, ADX, ADS-Lite, ODS, SCT, NAE, NIE, and NCE.Note: For Release 5.2 or earlier, the specific Java® Runtime Environment (JRE) particular to the SMP or SCT software release is still required on the client computer.
- Support for launching any website, including Metasys software products such as Ready Access Portal, the Metasys UI, and the Metasys Advanced Reporting System, as well as Google® and Yahoo!® websites among others.
The full version of the Launcher software is installed by any of three methods:
- Installing ADS, ADX, ADS-Lite, ODS, or SCT software on your computer. For details, refer to the Metasys® Server Installation and Upgrade Instructions Wizard (LIT-12012162), Metasys Server Lite Installation and Upgrade Instructions (LIT-12012258), SCT Installation and Upgrade Instructions (LIT-12012067), or ODS Installation and Upgrade Instructions Wizard (LIT-12011945).
- Accessing an ADS/ADX, ADS-Lite, ODS, SCT, or NxE with the web browser on a client computer. See Downloading and Installing or Upgrading the Launcher: Full Installation to a Windows OS and Downloading and Installing or Upgrading the Launcher: Single Site Connection.
- Downloading the Launcher installation file from the Metasys System Extended Architecture website on the Johnson Controls portal. Browse to the following website: http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/launcher.
When you install the full version of the Launcher software, a separate folder to store the Metasys release software is created on your hard disk. This practice provides for an isolated, private version of the JRE required to run Metasys software. If you have installed multiple releases of Metasys software, a separate folder is created for each. The locations for this folder depend on which operating system (OS) and release of Launcher you are using:
For the default location for Launcher 1.3 and earlier:
Windows® 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Server® 2012 R2, or Windows Server 2008 R2 operating systems:
Apple® OS X® operating systems:
For the default location for Launcher 1.4 and later:
Windows® 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Server® 2012 R2, or Windows Server 2012 R2 operating systems:
Apple® OS X® operating systems:
With Launcher 1.4 and later, you have the option to store data in either the default ProgramData folder or the private user's directory folder in the Windows operating systems and similar folders on Apple OS X operating systems.
The private user's directory locations for Launcher 1.4 and later:
Windows: C:\Users\<username>\Johnson Controls\Launcher\resources
Mac: ~\Users\<username>\Johnson Controls\Launcher\resources
You install the Single Site Connection version of the Launcher by manually downloading a copy of the MetasysResource.zip file to your computer. You then unzip the file to a publicly accessible location on the computer so that everyone who uses the computer has access to the program.
After you install Launcher for a particular Metasys system release, use the Launcher to access the Site Management Portal, supervisory engine, or SCT. If you use the web browser instead, the Launcher Download screen appears again. Do not reinstall Launcher.