About this task
Note: This procedure sets the printer as the destination for the Printer DDA.
- Make sure the printer power is on and is connected to the computer or building network.
- In Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound.
- Click Devices and Printers.
- Click Add a Printer to start the Add Printer Wizard. The Choose a local or network printer screen appears. In Windows 7, this screen has the same content but is labeled What type of printer do you want to install?
- Click Add a local printer (even if the printer is a network printer). The Choose a printer port screen appears.
- For a network printer, click Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port from the drop-down list. Go to Step 7. For a local printer, select Use an existing port and select the appropriate port from the list. Go to Step 8.
- Click Next. The Type a printer hostname or IP address screen appears.
Enter the host name or IP address of the printer. The Port
name field autofills while you type the host name or IP address.
Keep the Query the printer check box selected (the
Note: If you are uncertain about the proper printer host name to use, print a test page from the printer and look for the Printer name line in the test printout. Copy the name and syntax exactly. You may otherwise specify the IP address of the printer in the Hostname or IP address field.
- Click Next. If the printer driver cannot be retrieved from the printer, the Install the printer driver screen appears.
- Select the printer manufacturer and locate the model number in the Printers list box. If the printer model is not listed, click Have Disk and select the appropriate printer driver on a network drive, local hard drive, or other media.
- Click Next to continue. The Type a printer name screen appears.
- Accept the default printer name or type a name to identify the printer. Set this printer as the default printer if the option is available.
- Click Next to continue. If you are using Windows 10, Windows 8.1, or Windows 7, a Printer Sharing screen appears. Select the Do not share this printer option. Click Next.
- The printer driver installation begins. When it is finished, the final Add Printer screen appears.
- If you want to test the printer, click Print a test page.
- Click Finish to complete the printer installation.