The FX-PC Family Controllers and network sensors communicate using the standard BACnet protocol, based on the ANSI/ASHRAE 135-2008. The BACnet protocol is a standard for ANSI, ASHRAE, and the International Standards Organization (ISO) for building controls.
FX-PCG, FX-PCX, and FX-PCV Field controllers are BTL-listed as BACnet Application Specific Controllers (B-ASCs). FX-PCA field controllers and the PCV1930 Field Controller are BTL-listed as BACnet Advanced Application Controllers (B-AACs). The NS Series Sensors are BTL-listed as BACnet Smart Sensors (B-SSs).
Release 10.1 of the Controller Configuration Tool (CCT) 13.0 and later can be used to switch the Field Bus communications protocol in supported FX-PC Controllers to be either the standard BACnet MS/TP or the N2 protocol. All new controllers use either BACnet MS/TP as the default communications protocol, or BACnet/IP. Switchable communications protocols in the MS/TP models provide a cost-effective upgrade and modernization path for customers with existing N2 controllers.
The Modernization Guide for Legacy N2 Controllers (LIT-12012045) and the controller-specific documentation provide installation and commissioning support and include tips for efficient and safe replacement. Refer to the N2 Compatibility Options chapter of the Controller Tool Help (LIT-12011147) for information about mapping N2 Objects in controllers with switchable communications protocols.
The N2-capable FX-PC Controllers can be used as functional replacements for legacy N2 controllers. The N2-capable FX-PC Controllers:
- have the I/O quantities and characteristics of the FX-PC family controllers
- must be programmed with CCT, which have programming capabilities that are similar (but not identical) to HVACPro, GX9100, GPL, and other legacy tools
- support SA Bus devices
- support FX-WRZ wireless sensors from the controller using the FX-WRZ7860 receiver when configured for BACnet MS/TP communication
- do not support Zone Bus (for example, TMZ sensors and M100 actuators)
- do not support passthrough in the commissioning mode
- do not support remote downloading or commissioning using BACnet routing
- do not support wireless connection to the N2 bus